Microsoft Visio 2013 is diagramming and vector graphics software that is part of the popular MS Office Productivity Suite. It allows you to create concept maps, flowcharts and diagrams. With that aim, it includes different templates, themes and styles distributed among diverse categories. One of the most remarkable enhancements of this version is that it provides new real-time collaborative working possibilities, along with commenting features, as well as its improved support for touch-enabled devices.
One of the most remarkable enhancements of this version is that it provides real-time collaborative working possibilities
Now, several people can work simultaneously on a project. The only thing they must do is upload it to SharePoint or SkyDrive. Every participant will be able to see every new edition in real time, and every change on the project will be saved for all. Moreover, the new commenting pane facilitates adding, reading, replying and keeping track of the comments posted by reviewers. These comments can be added to diagrams with a small balloon icon. Thanks to threaded conversations, replies are easy to make and follow. Reviewers will have access to these diagrams even if they do not have Microsoft Visio 2013 installed; all they need is a web browser and access to SharePoint or Office 365.
What’s new in this version?
Apart from cloud and collaborative possibilities, there are some other relevant changes and new characteristics in this diagramming program. As we previously mentioned, the organizational chart as well as some diagram templates have been updated, such as Timeline, Basic and Detailed Network or Basic Shapes. Also, you can find new Containers and Callouts. Regarding workflow in SharePoint, it now supports steps, loops, stages and custom actions.
Microsoft Visio 2013 includes many of the formatting options included in other Office programs, like gradients, shadows, rotations or 3D effects. In fact, by using Quick Style, you will be able to add a particular combination of colors or reflections, among some other effects, to your shapes. Similarly, the Variants functionality allows you to customize the predefined themes. Also, performance has been enhanced when it comes to duplicate pages or replacing shapes that are already in the diagram.
Microsoft Visio 2013 Professional 2013 Features
The unique features of Microsoft Visio 2013 are:
- New and enhanced templates, styles and themes as well as new Containers and Callouts
- Possibility of linking data to diagrams and charts
- Compatibility with UML (Unified Model Language) and BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation) diagram creation standards
- Quick Style feature for shapes
- Themes can be customized thanks to Variants
- Possibility of duplicating pages or replacing shapes that have already been inserted in the project
- Allows commenting diagrams and includes threaded conversations
- Support for touch-enabled devices
- Reads and writes in .vstx, .vssx, .vsdm, .vstm and .vssm formats
- Integration with SkyDrive and SharePoint services
If you want to read more information about Microsoft Visio 2013 before you download it, feel free to visit the developer’s site.
The minimum system requirements to download and install this diagramming software are:
- Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 or newer
- Processor: 1GHz or faster
- RAM Memory: 1GB
- HDD: 3 GB of free space available